Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Jul 2009 11:30:23 -0500
From:         Deke Rivers <dekeriv@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Suggestions to improve Westy A/C airflow

Ric,

It's not much but I mounted a small 12 volt fan on the lock-down tab for the pop-top. It hangs down from the ceiling pointing forward. It is 2 speed and on/off oscillation. It helps to move the cool air up to the front area. I can also flip it up when the top is up. It then blows from the window towards the rear. The A/C is still marginal up front but it definitely helps.

Deke

Hi,

I've owned my 87 Westy for almost 10 years now, and overall I love it! (obviously if I've kept it for so long)....my Westy is equipped w/AC. Over the years I've converted the refrigerant to 134, replaced the vents on the drain tubes to reduce the chances of the "dehumidified" water from dripping on to the rear bunk....

There is one last sniggling issue....actually a BIG issue when it gets hot (80+) up here in New England, and that is the poor air circulation of the A/C in the Westy. I understand the need to have the major components in the back of the Westy, however this does not excuse the poor airflow. Let me digress for a moment...

Back in the early 1970s BMW came out with a 6 cylinder car called the "Barvaria", the precursor of the 5-series. It was a luxury (for the time) 4 door sedan w/AC. US owners complained on how poor the AC worked.....the German engineers back there in Munich said the US owners were crazy because, after all, German cars w/AC HAD NO FAULTS!!!

So BMWUS invited a couple of BMW's German engineers to come and visit LasVegas. Picked them up at the airport in a Barvaria. When the engineers were safely ensconsed in the back seat, the driver drove off with the AC on full. The engineers asked if the driver would please turn on the AC...driver said it was on. The engineers then went to roll down the rear windows and found that the US BMW folks disabled the rear window switches. After 45 minutes of driving around in the desert outside of LasVegas, the engineers got the message....problem solved.

Too bad VWUS didn't do the same with the engineers who designed the AC in the Westy. So instead I am throwing myself on the mercy and expertise of the list....

What suggestions do you have or what solutions have you tried in order to increase the circulation of the AC?

Thanks in advance!

Ric

_________________________________________________________________ Windows LiveT HotmailR: Search, add, and share the web's latest sports videos. Check it out. http://www.windowslive.com/Online/Hotmail/Campaign/QuickAdd?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_W L_QA_HM_sports_videos_072009&cat=sports