Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 31 Jul 2009 09:17:16 -0600
From:         "John C..." <jcarp2001@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: RE; rear brake shims
Comments: To: Warren Lail <wklail@gmail.com>

*http://tinyurl.com/mkk896*

Hi All,

I hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful Summer !!!

I finally got the front syncro wheel bearings figured out. (pricey lesson :o) ! but a lesson well learned ! :o) Just got back from a 2500 mile trip and everything seemed to go real well with the suspension!

Now, to complete the rear suspension. (Should be a Lot easier than the front)!

&, Yeah, I kind of ruined one backing plate removing the notched V shaped shoe holder. Man! they're tight!

What exactly is the advantage to shim them out the 2-3 MM? Does it center the shoes better or what? & what is everyone using for shims?

I bought the shoes & ATE cylinders from GoWesty. I hope they are the good ones. Same part number, but no core charge?

I like that they have them in stock, ready for shipping! And, I believe they use some kind of Lightning process to ship with... They're Fast !!! :o)

I'm doing the whole enchilada back there too. 2" raiser springs, shocks, bushings, bearings, CV's, brakes, spacers, wheels & tires, rust bullet paint etc...

I was just over to the DIY car wash this AM to spray all of the heavy grease off / out of the CV's What a mess! Painters paper coveralls, target store bags over the shoes etc! Strip all of that off & throw in the garbage after spraying is done. I use a heavy sand blast screened box to set everything in so I don't loose any ball bearings ! & will now re-clean with petro and compressor air dry; Synthetic grease & It's a happy puppy again !!!

Now,,, about that SVX !!! ;o)

best, JC...

*http://tinyurl.com/mkk896*