Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 31 Jul 2009 21:24:52 -0400
From:         Jeff <vw.doka@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: bostig kit for VW Vans

Actually, I did mean on an individual case basis. And it really isn't that difficult if you've done a nice swap. Additionally, I've never heard of one being revoked. I understand you can't make any guarantees, but you should allow customers to sign some kind of waiver if they want to give it a go. 80% of the referees in CA are good guys. Normally, they're former shop owners who've semi-retired and are now contract employees of the State. Now... there is a small group of anal sticklers out there, but the up side is that you can go to any referee you like.

Cheers,

Jeff

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Akiba [mailto:syncrolist@bostig.com] Sent: Friday, July 31, 2009 9:14 PM To: Jeff Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Subject: Re: bostig kit for VW Vans

Hey Jeff, change the statement to "It's not that hard to get an engine swap stickered by the BAR on a case by case basis in CA" and I might agree.

No matter of hoop jumping, knowing the right people, or the right thing to say will allow a blanket exemption to anti-tampering like the EO one can obtain for a pre-OBDII engine swap. It is not possible in CA.

Additionally it is also not officially possible to get a sticker from the BAR ref on any OBDII that does not bring with it the trans from the donor... but that doesn't stop individual refs from being more reasonable than the regulations they are supposed to enforce. This allows people who do a genuine and complete job at bringing over all of the emissions gear from the donor and implement them well a good chance at getting a sticker that will allow them to get through smog. This is how Stephan does it for 1.8Ts, and this is how we'll be doing it with our first CA customer going through the process. But still there is no guarantee, and if you don't get the sticker there is no legal obligation by anyone to help you get it even if you've done everything they ask. Additionally, there is no guarantee that the status won't be revoked at some point in future, which is why we tell customers(accurately) that it is not legally possible to have our conversion in CA, and that all that remains is loopholes(which is how we have customers in CA). There is a big difference between "doable" and "legal". The value prop to our customers would be, "here pay more money for additional parts and labor, that will increase complexity, lower reliability, do nothing for fuel economy... in exchange for this you'll get a *maybe* and they may or may not sticker you".

Jim Akiba

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 7:05 PM, Jeff<vw.doka@gmail.com> wrote: > It's not that hard to get an engine swap certified in CA.  You just need to > know the right hoops to jump through, and the right people to talk to (and > how to talk to them). > > Cheers, > > Jeff > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Old Volks Home > Sent: Friday, July 31, 2009 6:58 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: bostig kit for VW Vans > > Adding to the list of "NO" is > > NO CHANCE of ever seeing a legal version for California, thanks to the > C.A.R.B. :-(  Otherwise I woulda went to it a couple of years ago myself. > > Jim Akiba (Bostig) can fill you in on the particulars. > -- > Jim Thompson > 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" > 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" > 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" > oldvolkshome@gmail.com > http://www.oldvolkshome.com > *********************************** > On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 2:44 PM, Charles Nighbor > <cnighbor1@comcast.net>wrote: > >> <http://www.vwtecshop.com/bostig_PRO_INSTALL.html> >> A shop in Seattle area now licensed to install, Tec shop >> from Bostig web page the following >> ''Some of the advantages of a BOSTIG zetec PRO INSTALLED engine kit - >> >> 5 Year, 50,000 mile Warranty with FREE technical support - fits ANY > Vanagon >> 1984 on. >> >> >> Runs multi grade fuels - including E-85 with NO changes - and you can MIX >> the fuels. >> >> >> Gas Milage in the TWENTY Miles Per Gallon Range even with a LOADED WESTY >> CAMPER. >> >> >> There are over THREE MILLION zetec engines on the road today. It's a WORLD >> engine. >> >> >> Easy to Service and Repair the power pack. Parts are available & cost much >> less than Van parts. >> >> >> Tune Up Services consist of Spark Plugs and Air Filter - with NO specs to >> set ! >> >> >> ELIMINATES re-occurring COSTLY Vanagon issues - >> >> >>    NO Distributor to fail - No Cap or Rotor either >> >> >>    NO Coolant Leaking Head Gaskets or Expensive Coolant (uses universal >> type) >> >> >>    NO Coolant Tower or Crankcase Towers to break - leaving you stranded >> >> >>    NO Air Flow Boxes to flutter, hesitate or stall causing unsafe > re-starts >> in traffic >> >> >>    NO Vanagon "pinched" wire harness failures for the engine (new wiring > is >> installed) >> >> >>    NO Driving in SECOND gear at 20 MPH over mountain passes - now you can >> LEAD, not follow'' >> >> What are your experiences installing a ford Escort Zetec in your VW Van. > My >> friend in Seattle had one installed. It works fine now that he both intact >> exhaust to block.he is off to alaska with it. I know more when he returns >> >> Charles Nighbor >> >> Walnut creek, CA >