Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Jul 2009 12:08:34 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: electric plug in engine block
Comments: To: Mark Brush <mbrush@gmail.com>

yes.....on the socket. 'deep thin wall' if you can. there are two kinds of deep sockets.......those that are deep full length, and those not. you want the full depth deep on. a short half inch drive socket will work, but the terminal on the switch sticks out where your half inch drive ratchet would go ...... you can still make one work though.

if you are getting genuine OE German oil pressure switches ...fine. There is no way that I'd be replacing a good high pressure switch on a 2.1 engine with an aftermarket part. I even have half a dozen of those switches, new take-offs from German engines. but I sure wouldn't put an aftermarket part on where there is an original good German one, of OE grade.

people get in trouble trying to 'replace everything' . there is a point where it's smarter to leave things as they are. do whatever you feel is right of course. lol ! Scott glad you found 'the' leak ! ----- Original Message ----- From: Mark Brush To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:20 AM Subject: Re: Re: electric plug in engine block

I think the switch itself is leaking. I won't know until I buy the 24mm socket to get the thing out. Oil pressure switches are cheap, so I might replace both. If one's leaking, I bet the other one is not far off.

Mark 1990 Westy 2.1 manual