Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Jul 2009 22:56:08 -0400
From:         Karl Ploessl <karl.ploessl@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: size of battery compartment
Comments: To: "Costello, James L" <jlcostello@kpmg.ca>

I was thinking about the Interstate MTP-91 which got good critics here on the list. But it's somewhat larger than the group 41 (42 ?) and as I have a Westy it might be difficult to get it in with the swivel seat. So far the battery has recovered and it starts up again w/o needing a jump start. I got a solar panel to keep it charged and hope that will get me by.

Thanks

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Costello, James L<jlcostello@kpmg.ca> wrote: > Hi Karl, > > I also have an '81, and I did some mods to the battery to make the whole > deal fit.  The Starter battery compartment is very small, and only fits > 1 type of battery I believe, and I could only find it at Napa.  It's the > 58R/42-6 Model there.  I actually bent back the sides of the compartment > to fit the battery and then bend them back in place to screw the cover > back on. The camping battery under the driver's seat is the same size, > so you are stuck with using another car battery. > > I decided that a crummy starter battery will not power my needs while > camping, so I picked up a Deep cycle Gel Marine battery from Costco, and > wired it into the Cabinet under the sink.  I bored a 1" diameter hole > through the battery compartment and ran all new wiring through to the > battery.  I also put that battery in an RV watertight case, so that when > my sink leaks, or my water pump explodes (again) right beside it, the > battery won't be ruined. > > The relay between the 2 batteries still sits in the casing under the > driver's seat, but now I have a solid camping battery to power > everything I need! > > Hopefully this helps a bit. > > > James Costello > "Van Halen" > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf > Of Karl Ploessl > Sent: Friday, July 24, 2009 7:23 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: size of battery compartment > > did the size of the battery compartment change from year '81 to '89? I > am asking because I need a new battery and all the suggestions I found > in the mails were for newer vanagons. > > -- > Karl > 1981 VW Westy "Jenny" > 2000 VW Jetta GLS VR6 > Wilmington, DE > ************************************************************************ > The information in this email is confidential and may be legally > privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this > email by anyone else is unauthorized. > > If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, > distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance > on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. When addressed to our > clients any opinions or advice contained in this email are subject > to the terms and conditions expressed in the governing KPMG client > engagement contract. > ************************************************************************ >

-- Karl 1981 VW Westy "Jenny" 2000 VW Jetta GLS VR6 Wilmington, DE