Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Jul 2009 07:58:10 -0400
From:         Mark Brush <mbrush@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: intermittent fuel pump
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

I'll give that a whirl. I suppose the opposite of the technique might work too. If I suspect the fuel pump isn't getting power intermittently, then I could pull the wires off the fuel pump - attach a multi-meter to them - turn the key over several times and see if I ever get a "no power" reading... then I could rule out the fuel pump

good to know there are cheaper fuel pumps out there!

Mark 1990 Westy 2.1 manual

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 4:22 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans < scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote:

> hi Mark, > the fuel pumps I've priced out were not 400 bucks, closer to half that. > They last just amazingly well. > it's hard for me to put on a new one with 5 used ones around. > > if you suspect the wiring to the fuel pump , why not just temporarily > supply power to it yourself, from a good source somewhere in the van ? > > there's no steering wheel column wire that could affect the fuel pump, but > 'all sorts of things' get traced to a worn out electrical part of the > ignition switch. > > oh......here's one....... > had this myself, 84 Wolfsburg Westy ..............driving at 60 or 70, it > would 'loose power' for about 1.5 seconds, then pick up and go fine again, > until the next time. > I was suspicious of the air flow meter ...... > don't know if it was shutting of fuel injection or fuel pump ........but as > soon as the van slowed 2 mph due to lack of engine producing power....... > the sweeper would make contact again, and we'd be up and producing power > again. > new air flow meter fixed that. > Any time there is an interface between electronics and something mechanical > ..........that's an inherently weak spot. Air Flow Meter is a prime example. > > but I'd just supply my own juice to the fuel pump for a test, to see if > it's intermittent, or the signal to it is. > Scott > www.turbovans.com > > > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Brush" <mbrush@GMAIL.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:27 AM > Subject: intermittent fuel pump > > > > Hi all - >> >> I searched the archives and didn't find anything on this. Has anyone >> experienced an intermittent problem with their fuel pump? Sometimes it >> pumps (that little buzzing sound when the keys are turned over), sometimes >> it doesn't (no sound, and won't start). I think it goes out while I'm >> driving too (van bucks - power loss). Are there are prime suspects in >> this >> case? A loose wire in the steering column somewhere? Bad ignition >> switch? >> I don't want to think badly of the fuel pump, since that little fella is a >> $400 or more item. >> >> Thanks! >> >> Mark >> >> -- >> Mark >> 1990 Westy (2.1 - manual) >> > >

-- Mark 1990 Westy (2.1 - manual)