Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Aug 2009 15:08:07 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Redline gear oil
Comments: To: Bernie <berniej@GMAIL.COM>

Bernie,

I switched to Redline MT 90 for my 88 GL manual tranny 5 years ago. It relieved a number of problems I was having, and has perform admirably since. I do however, change it out every tow years as part of my maintenance plan to keep my van alive as I am. We both are on a rigorous maintenance program. While common practice is to just keep on running the tranny and never drain the things, I believe that to get the longest life out of the tranny, regular changes of oil are necessary, just like changing engine oil. GEts rid of metal particulate that floats around in the oil, wearing on the surfaces of th e gears. Magnets help - but they don't get it all. Besides that, oils are comprised of long chain molecules and these get broken up over time, and the lubricating qualities are lost as a result. It makes sense to replace the worn out oil periodically. And the tranny is a pretty harsh environment for that oil, those long chains being constantly crushed between gears and other parts. Small wonder they get broken up.

Bernie wrote: > Is 75W90 the right weight for Redline gear oil in the vanagon.Thank you, > > Bernie > Vancouver > > >