Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Aug 2009 19:27:14 -0700
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: New brakes, now pulls to the left
Comments: To: Trooz <trooz@roadrunner.com>

A pulsating pedal is almost always an out-of-round condition. The rotors are warped or maybe the drums.

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 7:16 PM, Trooz <trooz@roadrunner.com> wrote:

> I took my van in for front brake pads after pulling the wheels and > determining that the rotors were good. I was expecting to get hustled for > new rotors. Instead, the guy told me I needed new calipers at $125 each. > I > said I used to rebuild them for the price of an ATE rebuild kit; he > countered that it would be more for him to rebuild them than to replace > them, and that he was using new, not rebuilt, calipers. > > About $700 later, which included repacking the front wheel bearings and > installing new grease seals, I picked up the van and drove about two miles > home, noting that the brakes felt a bit mushy which I expected with green > pads. Yesterday I made a short freeway run and noticed that the van pulls > strongly to the right. Under braking, it pulls even more to the right. It > didn't do that prior to having the work done. On moderately hard braking > from about 60 mph I could feel a rapid pulsing in the brake pedal which > wasn't noticeable at lower speeds. > > Tomorrow I'm taking it back, and I'm wondering if the list has any ideas as > to what they could have done that would cause it to pull to the right so > badly? What would cause the high-frequency pulsing? > > The only other thing they did was to adjust the rear brakes. > > Bob Trousdale > '90 Westy >

-- Beverley Anne de Villiers April 20, 1930 - July 4, 2009

Jake

1984 Vanagon GL 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie"

Crescent Beach, BC

www.thebassspa.com www.crescentbeachguitar.com http://subyjake.googlepages.com/mydixiedarlin%27