Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Aug 2009 21:54:11 -0600
From:         Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Easy CV joint replacement

"That's the weird thing is that I was never sure what the noise was. I had sick feelings that it was in the final drive for a while. The CV boot was in really good condition, I probably could have reused it. I really don't know what happened in the joint other than the grease getting old and dry. Many times I tried to shake that axle and got nothing until recently." I'm suspicious that my left outer CV is bad. Clicks under acceleration and when making a left turn, not right, but the noise is definitely coming from that location. the noise is more a rrrrr - rrrrrrr - rrrrrr one than a click but also has a click in it. All the wheel bearings have been replaced and the rear axles/CV's are new. The noise goes away when I let up on the accelerator.

Clutch seems to need replacing too. Chatters in reverse and 1st, especially under low rpm. May be the flywheel has been warped some from heat. It's a LUK HD that was put on with the Subie conversion 10/07. I've talked to a few people that have had poor luck with the LUK HD and went back to the Sachs. I'd like to get that in a HD version. they show one of the Sachs site but I don't find one at any of our usual online vendors. Took the van to the shop tonight so they can get after it tomorrow.

Bob Stevens '87 Syncro Westy