Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Aug 2009 12:08:53 -0800
From:         Troy <colorworks@GCI.NET>
Subject:      UNIVERSAL UB12220 vendor alert

First off, let me say that I am grateful to Karl, of Westy Ventures for providing the link to these golf cart batteries. They pack a lot of punch for a small size. I recently ordered several to increase my reserve capacity. These were purchased from: BatteryTex: http://www.batterytex.com/batteries/367/UNIVERSAL/UB12220

I was surprised to see that the battery came in at 12.1 volts and then asked about the warranty and was further surprised to hear that it is only six months. The longer a battery stays in a discharged state the more likely it is to fail, so for a company that sells batteries, it was alarming to me to see such a discharged battery being sold as new. Just posting this as a heads up for those who may be considering ordering some of these batteries. Based on my experience, I think I may choose a different vendor next time. YMMV. Customer service was very good, and shipping prompt. Hopefully, my experience was any isolated incident.

On a related note, Karl sent out some private e-mails and was talking about deep cycle batteries. He made a very good point, and I have read this in other places as well, that it can take voltages of over 14 to fully charge these batteries, and the stock Vanagon alternator I don't believe produces this kind of voltage. My Subaru alternator produces about 14.2, so it would charge a deep cycle battery fully. A Solar collector would be another option. It was recommended/suggested a long time ago to just purchase a standard car battery (I like the group 41 size) from Sears, Costco, etc. These batteries will certainly not take the abuse of a deep cycle, but do carry a three-year warranty, no questions asked, and then an additional prorated warranty for two more years. If you do not discharge these more than say 25 to 30% on a routine basis, they can last a very long time, which is why I decided to order a couple more smaller batteries to increase my capacity to about 100AH. I have yet to really get my money's worth out of a deep cycle battery, and the Odyssey battery I purchased was absolute junk. Way overstated reserve capacities, and a horrible warranty. FWIW.

Troy