Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Aug 2009 16:30:05 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Slight over run popping from exhaust..84 (inline VW with Digifant
              )

I know it's not a WBX motor but it is Bosch and uses many of the same parts as a Vanagon stocker. Plus I know there are list members with other similar VW motors and knowledge of the Digifant EFI system. Here goes:

This particular motor is still running super. No issues other than this recent minor irritating new behavior. Gas mileage has not changed in about 30k miles I have put on. It's an 8-valve 1.8liter VW motor from a '92 Jetta/Cabriolet/Rabbit stuck into my 5sp vanagon using diesel van peices/parts. It has no cat and a straight through Magnaflow SS muffler. I've recently noticed that more often than before it sometimes 'pops' a bit, softly..on deceleration..As in: when downshifting and coming to a stop. It has always been a little prone to this behavior , but until recently, only when it is in 'warm up' mode..like before the idle circuit had stopped and the idle slowed to normal..But recently it has begun to do some very mild popping as I decelerate even when fully warmed up.....not every time but it occurs more often if i have just done a hard acceleration, then let off..Like in stop and go traffic. If I floor it, then drop the throttle and coast down, it goes..bapp bap bappity put put..did-dow dow dow....not loud but like that... It seems like there may be some kind of throttle switch that might be 'going south' or something..allowing some unburned fuel to pass through the motor and then maybe ignite in the muffler or on its way out the exhaust system?..Or perhaps I have an injector that is working at times when it shouldn't be or leaking fuel into the fuel rail using the vacume created by deceleration?...but that would give me a loss in fuel mileage, right? This behavior is not really bothersome other than I've noticed it now so I want to figure it out and put it back exactly to rights. I sometimes lately see pedestrians lately turning as I go past, smiling at the old Hippy in the 'poopy-colored poopy-sounding' Bus.. I don't like to draw attention like that. Some official might notice and be inspired to" help ' me and the enviornment by legislating my 'clunker' away and giving me the option to charge a brand new PT Cruiser or an Element or something... Any hints or ideas where I should look? Don Hanson