Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Aug 2009 17:37:05 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Idiots for Clunkers
Comments: To: miguel pacheco <mundopacheco@GMAIL.COM>

I too am like that Native American watching what 'has always been' pass away before our eyes. Shed tears indeed. hey .......it's STILL going on .... the destruction of north American and a noble way of life by 'white guys' and others.

re But what about the junky Vanagons, sitting in a field of weeds, that are continually advertised and rarely purchased? Are we to berate those frustrated sellers who finally give in and send these vehicles to the junkyard?"

Is there a crisis here ? I think not, if they are just sitting around in a field of weeds. If not a more desirable model, like a westy or syncro ..... sure, I suppose it's not that bad if people dispose of them, ordinary models anyway. There seem to be a huge amount of regular 84's that are very homeless. So not to bothered if people crush those.

What does bother me though ...........is 'parting out.' Sadly ...........a desirable model , say a syncro, westy, carat etc........can be worth more in parts than what the whole van can bring , sometimes. Now that gets me.

Unless it's badly rusted or crashed, it's a real shame to see any special model 'go for parts'. And I kinda don't care if the individual parts are worth more than the whole vehicle......... since 'keeping things noble' is far more important than getting money to me...... when I see junkyards keeping a nice model around a short while until the big pieces are sold off, then crush what remains .. that's akin to rape to me - like 'mine' what you can off it quickly, dump the rest. that is 'white man exploitive attitude' ............what this country was founded on, so I guess we can't be too surprised if people do that with special models of vanagons still. I don't perceive that junkyards are about preserving what remains for the benefit of aficionado's ( mine is though .......not a junkyard really though ) .... they're just about 'getting money' .........no love for cars there, not that I've seen, not usually anyway. .

and ....once in a while, on the other hand, a very nicely preserved example shows up........and sometimes it's even at a really good price.. So once in a while it goes the other way - great van, low price.

Non-rusted vanagons are pretty special, and it would be wise to not waste those vanagons.

Seems that I'm running a 'home for homeless vanagons' lately .....up to 14 of them I think. many are great, very rust free, not many dents ............perhaps they will serve as great donor bodies to swap over good mechanicals to, for people that have good, but too rusted vanagons. Just drive on out, pick your 'new' vanagon body, and I'll guide you as you a swap over your good stuff top your new vanagon body/chassis.

And ..........they sure are easy to spot in a parking lot full of 'roundy' modern cars. And you can sleep in them, and haul all kinds of junk etc ! They are great - they are still YET on the rising part of the curve ! - the Greatness of Vanagons. Scott www.turbobvans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "miguel pacheco" <mundopacheco@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, August 03, 2009 4:36 PM Subject: Re: Idiots for Clunkers