Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Aug 2009 00:39:56 -0400
From:         Jim Akiba <syncrolist@BOSTIG.COM>
Subject:      Re: Idiots for Clunkers
Comments: To: Don Hundt <dhundt@bendbroadband.com>

The net cost to governments tends to be very little which is one of the reasons clunker programs are popular around the world. Germany started last Jan, did the same thing as we just did(ran out of money quickly, then replenished), and Japan has been doing it since May. At least a dozen or so other european countries have programs. Even Canada did as well(but was only giving like $300 for pre 96 cars). Individual states too, California did it, as did Texas. The big problem that I'm worried about is the artificial inflation of sales now, with a big vaccum of sales in the coming months/year. The whole point of this is to stimulate car sales... which it will, but then it'll stop. Further... the cars that are being bought(as someone pointed out already) are small fuel efficient cars, the Ford Focus being the top seller in the US CFC program so far. For the automakers this is bad news since the small econoboxes also have the lowest margins... but screw the automakers honestly, at least there is a buffering trickle down for suppliers... until it again stops. Imagine if instead of CFC we could somehow get subsidized for our conversion sales(vanagon content)... we couldn't bump the mpgs over the gap they need now, but there would be enough money to develop the entire replacement vehicle for the vanagon which certainly could... while building/investing in the real future of the US auto industry which is growing in progressive operations all over the country as we speak. I feel the focus on where to invest/stimulate growth in this economy is entirely wrong, but it's easier to understand, less risky, and more predictable than changing how anyone thinks about it so that's the way it'll happen.

Jim Akiba

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 11:50 PM, Don Hundt<dhundt@bendbroadband.com> wrote: > Jake De Villiers wrote: >> >> Sometimes its good to be Canadian - that's the dumbest thing I've ever >> seen... > > Unless you are a Canadian Ford, Dodge, or G.M. employee, then it looks like > manna from heaven! > > I don't really have a problem with the program, if you don't want your car > crushed don't trade it in. It seems to me that a whole lot of old $800 vans > are now worth about $4500. Any decent van may become a rarer collectible, > maybe some day we can all charge GoWesty prices. > > I'm not interested in a political debate, so I'll leave that part alone. > However, it would be nice to see Japan, Germany, Sweden, Korea  kick in a > little something for this program, it seems their economies are seeing some > stimulus off of this as well. > Don >