Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Aug 2009 10:56:35 -0400
From:         Allan Streib <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: vanagon syndrome plus poor gass economy
Comments: To: Ellen Robey <erobey@GMAIL.COM>

Before you buy all that try disconnecting the oxygen sensor (engine off, ignition off while you do this) and see if that improves the symptoms. If so you either have a bad sensor, bad wiring, or exhaust leaks that are affecting the sensor reading.

Allan

On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 08:08 -0400, "Ellen Robey" <erobey@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > I am brand new to the list, have only owned my vanagon a year now. She's > an 86, 2.1 water cooled. so, i am experiencing the intermittent loss of > power while driving, she occasionaly dies coming to a stop at a light or > off the freeway, and sounds LOUD to me. I can smell gas. Fuel economy > has dropped from20mpg around town to 16mpg around town. > > So, found some bad hoses, replaced those, still doing this. Swapped out > the AFM to see if it made a difference; it didn't. put mine back in and > kept the spare as a 'just in cas' part. From time to time i can hear a > high pitched whistle from the engine. mechanic thinks it is coming from > the throttle body itself, all hoses intact. > > I am going to get: idle control valve, new throttle body gasket, > operating cam and clip for the throttle switch, a new fuel filter, and > the 22 microfarad capacitor. > > What do you guys think? Anything I am leaving out? Thought i had a > throttle body but haven't heard back from the guy. > > thanks for any suggestions > erobey