Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Aug 2009 10:53:25 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: vanagon syndrome plus poor gass economy
Comments: To: Ellen Robey <erobey@GMAIL.COM>

If you have not already done so - replace ALL fuel hoses in the engine bay - and I do mean all, including the little short hoses that connect the fuel injectors to the fuel rails. AND DO IT NOW!!!

Also replace the short hose in front of the firewall where the plastic fuel fitting is attached. In fact - get your mechanic to remove that fitting, install a grommet in it's place and run the fuel hose directly through the hole in the new grommet and connect to the hard fuel line that goes to the fuel pump. That plastic piece is notorious for leaking and breaking. After all - the van is over 20 years old.

Get yourself a complete hose replacement kit from one of the list vendors.

Why all this hassle?

Well, these vans are notorious for burning, and nearly every time its a fuel related fire that starts in the engine compartment as a result of leaking fuel hoses. This is nothing to mess around with. Don't even think - "Well, it's just a block to the Post Office" or some other silly thing. Leave it parked until you get the parts, then replace the hoses yourself (not that big of a deal) before you ever move it again or at least take it straight to the mechanic. But don't start and run it un-necessarily. It may cost you more than you want to pay. Fuel in the engine bay is delivered at 30 psi pressure - and if you don't think a split hose with gasoline spraying out at 30 PSI isn't going to cause problems, then you are enjoying to much "weed" or worse.

Good Sucess in the fix.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Ellen Robey wrote: > I am brand new to the list, have only owned my vanagon a year now. She's > an 86, 2.1 water cooled. so, i am experiencing the intermittent loss of > power while driving, she occasionaly dies coming to a stop at a light or > off the freeway, and sounds LOUD to me. I can smell gas. Fuel economy > has dropped from20mpg around town to 16mpg around town. > > So, found some bad hoses, replaced those, still doing this. Swapped out > the AFM to see if it made a difference; it didn't. put mine back in and > kept the spare as a 'just in cas' part. From time to time i can hear a > high pitched whistle from the engine. mechanic thinks it is coming from > the throttle body itself, all hoses intact. > > I am going to get: idle control valve, new throttle body gasket, > operating cam and clip for the throttle switch, a new fuel filter, and > the 22 microfarad capacitor. > > What do you guys think? Anything I am leaving out? Thought i had a > throttle body but haven't heard back from the guy. > > thanks for any suggestions > erobey > >