Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Aug 2009 14:33:17 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Dometic Rear Fan *prop* Better than CPU Fan?

Hi all.

I'm such a nerd...... ;)

After reading Richard Jones findings on muffin fans (IIRC, he speculated that 2 muffin fans may block convection air flow at rear of Dometic thus forcing it to run more often) it occurred to me that the Dometic prop might be a better design for this application. Certainly better than the over sized CPU fan I currently have mounted on my Dometic. I figured a new, and possibly stronger motor, might improve performance of the stock prop. Lucky me. Found a new cassette motor for $5.00.

http://tinyurl.com/nbfqjf

(sorry for crappy pic, but you get the idea)

specs for muffin fan

http://tinyurl.com/kvtjll

A few observations.

A 5x CFM and 37 CMF CPU fan shown above, both feel like they move the same amount of air. My VOM showed the higher rated fan as drawing more than the rated power. Ironically, the CPU fan in my crappy pic, draws less than it's rated .2 amps. But.... my homemade fan, feels like it pushes more air than either CPU fan and with a wider pattern. It draws ~ .16 amps. About the same as the 37 CFM fan.

Has anyone else found that the Dometic blade is a better design than a muffin fan?

Anyone else swapped the Dometic prop onto a bigger motor? If so, was it an improvement?

And could anyone tell my why the cassette tape motor fan spins faster when polarity reversed?

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines