Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Aug 2009 11:21:42 -0400
From:         Michael Snow <slowmachine82@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Transmission Vent Hole Location?
Comments: cc: aatransaxle <daryl@aatransaxle.com>

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 1:18 PM, aatransaxle<daryl@aatransaxle.com> wrote: > Michael.The vent is a tiny hole on the drivers side front top corner kinda > above the mount.. Its not very large or obvious. Its just inboard of the > topmost bolt that holds that front cover on.

Thanks, Daryl. I found the vent. I can stick a wire into it about 1/2 inch before it runs into an obstruction (probably by design) that allows it to go no deeper. There was very little dirt/grease in this outer portion of the vent. If I used something more flexible (pipe cleaner?) could I get farther into the transmission?

I am doing this in an attempt to eliminate internal pressure as the cause for a gear oil leak. It is leaking from the left side drive flange seal. I have installed three seals and a good used drive flange and still have a leak. The leak is present whether driving or parked.

I purchased the used drive flange from Weddle. The person that I talked to on the phone told me that the left side flanges tend to move in and out of the case as the transmission wears, making a relatively wide groove where the seal contacts the flange. The drive flange that I removed was noticeably worn in this pattern.

In your transmission guru opinion, what are my chances of stopping the leak without rebuilding or replacing the transmission? I have one more new seal in my spare parts pile.

-- Michael Snow 1982 Westfalia 1.9TD http://slowmachine82.blogspot.com/