Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Aug 2009 09:30:18 -0700
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Smog test failed - here is my plan
Comments: To: Roland <syncronicity1@GMAIL.COM>

Roland, the most critical thing is that the O2 sensor system be working and cycling fast. This is simple to check. I live near you and have the same smog testing issues with my 3 gasoline Vanagons. I always make certain the O2 is working well before taking a vehicle in for test and always pass when it is.

You must look at both the voltage and cycle time of the O2 system. I have an oscilloscope that I use for this except on 2.1 waterboxers where I use a Digitool.

Come on over and we can look at yours.

Mark

Roland wrote: > Hi Rich, > > Thanks for the data point. The is the cat part number on the Van-Cafe web > site. I called them this morning and they confirmed it is not California > legal. I think it is related to all the new CARB rules that went into > effect this year in 2009. Perhaps yours went through because it was still > 2008. There are some emails in the archives from the past 8 months > discussing the new CARB rules, but I still don't understand it all (related > to OBD issues, and CAT types, etc.). Evidently California changed some of > the regulations in the meantime. > > Mine had passed smog 2 years ago, no problem. And also 4 years ago, no > problem. Who knows, maybe the cat did wear out and that is what is needed. > Frustrating because it was running very well, even the shop said it is all > is very good shape and running well -- (oops, I might get started down a > controversial discussion if I complain about spending all these $ on a > vehicle that runs very well, all in good shape, except that the peoples > republic of california is making me spend loads of extra $ for questionable > reasons). > > Roland > (also in the San Diego area). >