Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Aug 2009 13:14:42 -0700
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Vitrifrigo trip results, wiring, battery life, charging issues,
              etc

Anne and I just returned to San Diego from a 3 week camping trip in the PNW area. Just before starting out I installed a Vitrifrigo in place of our working Dometic 182A. Due to time constraints I pretty much slapped it in and hoped for the best, making no changes to our existing aux battery setup other than new Group 48 batteries for both starting and aux positions. I realized this rushed install might bite me and eventually it did. I also brought one of those battery voltage display/alarms that plugged into the cig socket, planning to wire it directly to the aux battery at some point since it gave lower than true readings while plugged into the cig socket powered by the aux battery. After about a week on the road I knew I would HAVE to do something to improve the battery charging. The battery voltage would drop lower and lower each night, rising some of the way back up during driving each day. Finally one night the fridge stopped running because the battery was too low.

I stopped at that retail giant we love/hate and bought a set of 8 gauge battery booster cables and a roll of solder as well as a pocket butane torch. I stopped at a NAPA and bought a pack of ring terminals, 5/16" for 6 gauge wire and an extra 8mm nut and washer. Then we headed off to camp where we were meeting friends at the SyncroSafari near Mt St Helens. That night the battery voltage again dropped too low, though we had driven for several hours during the day. I had to fix this and soon.

As a test step I cut the giant battery clamp off one end of one booster cable and crimped on a ring terminal. Then I attached it to the alternator stud using the extra nut and washer. I ran the cable on the ground around the driver side of the van, extending it with the other cable so it would reach the battery under the driver seat. First I started the engine and revved it a bit to get a voltage reading at the cig socket. Then I connected the far end booster cable clamp to the positive post of the battery. The voltage reading jumped by .7 volts, a good sign, and I could hear the alternator belt chirping a little under the load, another good sign. I let the engine run a few minutes and the voltage slowly increased as the batteries charged. Even with two 12 foot booster cables connected end to end there was enough increase in charging current to make a huge improvement at the batteries. Time to make a more permanent fix.

I borrowed a 1/2" battery powered drill and a grommet from some Syncro friends and installed the new wire. I cut the booster clamps off, put a ring terminal on the battery box end, drilled a hole in the bottom of the battery box, installed the grommet, pushed the cable down through the hole and put the battery back. Under the van I routed and zip tied the cables into place, working from each end of the vehicle until the cables reached each other in an easy to work in space. Then I cut off the excess length, stripped and wove the copper strands together, and soldered the joint with a small butane torch. A little electrical tape, and all done.

The bottom line of this is that the nightly draining of the aux battery by the Vitrifrigo brought to the fore an existing weakness in the charging path. Even driving for 4 or 5 hours in daylight did not sufficiently recharge the deeply drained battery. The addition of a new 8 gauge wire from the alternator to the separator relay corrected this. We had no further problems with the battery voltage dropping too low during the night and the voltage came back up higher and much quicker while driving.

As to replacing the propane capable Dometic with the electric only Vitrifrigo, the jury is still out. The fridge is nicer in every way but will need a larger battery capacity installed before it can be used for more than a day or 2 without driving.

Anne and I have since talked about various additions to help out the battery capacity. We noted that virtually none of the campsites we stayed in would have worked with a solar panel. I may still install one for our Baja trips as there is plenty of sun there on the beach.

Mark