Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Aug 2009 18:33:05 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: Rotator Rachet Tool for the Vanagon Mechanic in your life
Comments: To: colorworks@GCI.NET

First off Evolv is sold by Sears, NOT manufactured by Craftsman. Evolve is made in China like a lot of tools these days and therefore the Evolve stuff doesn't carry the lifetime warranty that Craftsman does. I've always wondered what percentage of the cost of a Craftsman tool was tied up in the "warranty". Sears used to sell a Chinese version of tools called companion. Guess Evolv sorta evolved from Companion. Companion didn't have warranty either. Evolve sounds more like a brand Target would sell.

BTW, I played with the Stanley version at Wal Mart one night and wasn't impressed enough to cough up $22. The deal I did like was 2 Christmases ago the local NAPA store had the Gear Wrench Quad Box pair of wrenches on a sale for $10.. For your $10 you got two SAE or two metric Gear wrenches that had like size ranges from 5/16"/8mm to 3/4"/19mm. Wished I bought out their entire stock now. Even on sale they don't get any lower than $25 even two years later. Never checked to see if they were made in China or not though.

DM&FS

At 03:04 PM 8/5/2009, Troy wrote: >Hi David: > >I did not read the review, but it would be nice if there was more than one. >Perhaps the other people who purchased them had no problems? I would say in >general a person is more likely to tell others when there is a problem, as >opposed to when there is not a problem. Misery loves company and all... I >mostly posted the information, and feel that others will be able to make an >intelligent decision. A thank you would serve me fine for providing the >information. > >Troy > > >----- > >>At 07:47 PM 8/4/2009, Troy wrote: >>>A few days ago a person mentioned a rotator/twist type of ratchet. While I >>>was at Sears today I noticed a very similar tool made by craftsmen under >>>the Evolv name. In >> >>But based on 1 user review: >>>Rating 1 of 5 >>>Not Happy, May 9, 2009 >>>By Robert5425424 from Fort Lauderdale >>> >>>"Great idea but very poorly made. >>>It broke on the first try, it was at my house for about one hour until it >>>went back to the store. The other ones at the store had the same defect. I >>>really wanted this tool to work, but when you ask a tool to do a few >>>things they never do one thing right, unless they are very expensive." >> >> -- >>David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ >>'89 Po' White Star "Scamp"