Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Aug 2009 17:15:19 -0700
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vitrifrigo trip results, wiring, battery life,
              charging issues, etc
Comments: To: Jeffrey Vickers <jeff@VICKERSDESIGN.COM>

In my case the lesson is that there is an existing weakness in my old charging path that I should fix. I have an engine conversion that was done 10+ years ago. The wiring splice done back then to the charging path is probably degraded and simply renewing it would solve my charging issues. Running an additional wire like I did bypasses the likely flaw.

You can run a charging wire from the alternator right to the separator device to minimize wire length and get a more consistent charging rate independent of the loads on the main battery. UNLESS you plan to be able to use the aux battery for starting assist. That feature should not be implemented unless there is large wire connecting the 2 batteries to each other or the starter over the entire path. My preference would then be to have a somewhat larger charging wire from the alternator to the starter and then an even larger wire from there to the separator under the back seat and on to the aux battery. Since there is a huge stock wire from the main battery to the starter, use the starter as the place to connect the aux battery too, with a large enough wire to handle starting current. This would safely let both batteries supply starting current if desired. Then the wire from the alternator to the starter would not see any current flow due to starting, other than what the fuel/injection system needs. After the engine starts the alternator provides the power for the fuel/injection system and also to the starter post where the batteries tie in for charging.

One concern is whether the big wiring allows the batteries to draw too much from the alternator. Long and small wires act can as a safety device that limits the current flow to the batteries. I know this may seem like a strange concept but it is true. Short small wires can be dangerous in high current situations but a balance between size and length can be reached that will allow the battery to get only so much of the alternator output. The trick is to find that balance area while getting the most charging that the alternator can safely provide.

Mark

Jeffrey Vickers wrote: > So the moral of the story is: run a big charge wire to your setup. In my > case, since my aux battery and 1315 are under my rear seat, would it > make more sense to run that bigger charge wire straight to the main side > of the 1315 instead of going all the way to the main battery? Shorter > wire, less drop etc... > > Jeff >