Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Aug 2009 23:14:12 -0400
From:         Karl <tdiguru@WESTYVENTURES.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vitrifrigo trip results, wiring, battery life,
Comments: To: colorworks@GCI.NET

Ha, actually, the van that is getting the 200 a/h setup is not a Westfalia conversion so doesn't have those pesky seat swivel plates in the way. SO, after some measuring I decided to enlarge the stock battery boxes by 2.5" which will enable installation of a pair of group 27 AGM batteries. Which BTW are also ok for the easy load of starting the TDI. Weight is around 60 lbs. each. One major factor for me is that the van will be [hopefully] spending a lot of time outside the US in the future, so I wanted to install a more commonly-available battery size.

100 a/h should give ya almost four days with 80% discharge.

Karl

Troy wrote: > Karl will be adding a trailer soon to haul the rest of his gear:) > Seriously though, how much space and weight does a 200 amp hour > batteries use? I'm guessing I could not even lift the thing. Is > this really a practical solution? I love the UB12220 set-up. Curious > how those batteries hold up, as I recently discovered they only have > a six month warranty. I just added a couple in addition to my stock > auxiliary battery, which will bring me up to close to 100AH, and hope > to get two days, which is about as long as I typically stay in one > spot. > > Troy >