Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Aug 2009 18:56:35 +0200
From:         Brenton Tait <BTait@INVESTEC.CO.ZA>
Subject:      Re: 20W50 Castorl Engine Oil
Comments: To: Mike S <mikes@flatsurface.com>

Just that I recently, with the cold weather we been experiencing, had some shifting problems.....and after the oil warms up...no problem...so I went over to my mechanic and he suggested it...said he did one or two vans and no come backs.....I was going to opt for a GL5 oil, but he suggested since the 20w50 is cheaper ...why not.....just thought Id ask ...

Regards B C Tait Btait@investec.co.za Group Risk, Risk IT Investec Limited Telephone: +27 11 291 3194 Fax: +27 11 286 7599 Cell: +27 82 410 3030 100 Grayston Drive, Sandown, Sandton, 2196, South Africa PO Box 785700, Sandton, 2146, South Africa www.investec.com

-----Original Message----- From: Mike S [mailto:mikes@flatsurface.com] Sent: 06 August 2009 18:44 To: Brenton Tait Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: 20W50 Castorl Engine Oil

At 12:25 PM 8/6/2009, Brenton Tait wrote... >This might sound a bit stupid...but what are the chances of using a >mineral 20w50 engine oil in my gearbox? DO I run the risk of damaging >it?

Engine oils do not have the high pressure additives required for gearbox use. Why are you even considering it? Proper gear oil is easy to find.

http://www.old.investec.com/EmailDisclaimer/emaildisclaimer.htm

The disclaimer also provides our corporate information and names of our directors as required by law.

The disclaimer is deemed to form part of this message in terms of Section 11 of the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act 25 of 2002. If you cannot access the disclaimer, please obtain a copy thereof from us by sending an email to: disclaimer@investec.co.za