Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Aug 2009 23:05:57 -0400
From:         John Lauterbach <jhlauterbach@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: 1.9 automatic vanagon syndrome ??
Comments: To: Paul Guzyk <paullist08@GUZYK.COM>

Definitely not Vanagon syndrome -- that only effects 2.1 L engines

Take a look at plug wires to front plugs #3 and #1 at junction between wire and top of plug. I suspect you will find corrosion and that wires to #4 and #2 will be fine.

If all wires are okay and connections to plugs are clean, take a look at underside of distributor cap. Check to see if carbon-tracked. If so, see list vendors for wires, plugs, cap, rotor, conductive grease, etc.

If you drive van up a hill at full throttle, will it make it to 4600 rpm before it upshifts (this is around 45-48 mph)? If you cannot get van to 4600 rpm under load, tell us about it.

Note if van does not upshift and engine rpms keep climbing, get van to reputable automatic transmission shop for a cleaning of valve body

I have been through the above set of problems several times. Once it struck on wires less than a year old and wires were top quality from list vendor.

Knock on wood, but since I started using conductive grease on the plugs, problem has not reappeared.

John

On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 09:34 -0400, Paul Guzyk wrote: > I'm driving my 85 westy with AT at freeway speed, 65ish. > > Once in a while the engine hesitates/bucks and/or dies. > > While "coasting" I then turn the key off, then on, the engine comes back to life and works normally until the next hesitation session... > > Can a fast moving AT van allow the engine to re-start in motion without the starter? > > And what do you think is the root of my problem?