Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Aug 2009 09:52:59 -0700
From:         Luke Bakken <luke.bakken@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: rear hatch lock problem

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 9:51 PM, David Clarkson<Dvdclarksn@aol.com> wrote: > I went to unlock my rear hatch a few minutes after closing it and found > that the lock/latch did not pop and unlatch as usual. Dutifully, I first > checked  the archives but found nothing really useful. I lubed via the key slot > to no  avail. I know that I will need to crawl inside and remove or partially > remove  the interior rear hatch panel to find the problem. My question is > will I likely  find something broken that will need to be replaced or > possibly a rod that has  come loose? The diagram in the ETKA is not real clear but > there does appear to  be a rod that may be possible to slip loose. Anyone > had this problem? What did  you find or have to fix? Yet another challenge on > the list of must do/should do  items for the Westy. Thanks everyone.

There is a small rod on which the latch mechanism slides that must be cleaned and lubed. I also had to file smooth the metal on which the latch slides as well - each side has an indentation in which the latch spring extension rests in the open and closed position. The latch must be able to slide easily *out* of this indentation and that is what was failing - I had to smooth the indentation so that sliding was possible. It works great now!

Pmail me if you'd like, this fix is still fresh in my memory. Luke