Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Aug 2009 11:27:42 -0400
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1982 diesel westy radiator leak?

I once had an original'82 diesel radiator(not really much different from gas). I took it to a radiator shop for some forgotten reason and the technician inspected it. He pushed his fingernail right through the thin water passages, again and again, totally destroying my radiator. He told me that over years, the road salt will eat away at the lower portion of the radiator, from the outside, in. When that happens, the radiator is junk(He kept that radiator). I then pushed my fingernail through it--Wow! Check to make sure that yours is not at the end of its life span in this fashion before sinking lots of money into it. I suppose that you could take the pressure off and add stop leak if you are far from home when you discover this, but others wise, expect to shell out for a new one.

New ones don't exist, as far as I know, and they changed it in '83, I think, to match the gas radiators. The core of the gas is the same as diesel, it looks to be, but I never tried to swap a gas core to diesel tanks. BusBoys once sold an early diesel radiator for $600, but it is NLA. Talk to a radiator shop about it it? If it were me, I would attempt to swap it as I said above, as the mounting for diesel and gas radiators to the vehicle is different. Also, that long down tube on the diesel radiator that you have is probably perforated(or about to be)at the bend. Just braze it up. People here commonly change to gas radiators, but I never read the postings about how they did it. That is probably what you want to do. An '82 radiator, if you live in the salt belt, is not too reliable these days. Good luck.