Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Aug 2009 14:01:26 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1988 Rebuilt Engine Stumbling at various RPM levels2100-2300,
              3400- 4000r...
Comments: To: Karl <tdiguru@westyventures.com>

Hi all,

OK, I'm the guy with a 1.8liter 8 valve (from a 92 cabriolet) in my van. Gutless? Well, no. I pass most vanagons if I want..but it's not like a V-8 or a turbo. The bently says my motor is about the same hp (about 10 more, maybe, my Bently is buried in the van right now) as a WBX..I put a mild cam into it (<$100 brand new) and have a free-flow exhaust system..the cam is said to add 12 hp.. I am probably around 115hp now...Not a power house, but acceptable, especially for what it cost. I screwed up bleeding my radiator when I first got the van (being unfamiliar with Vanagons) and overheated causing my headgasket to leak..Replaced that and swapped the cam in in under 5 hours for about $175 including the cam and an oil change. I DO get 23mpg. I have kept track over about 35k miles now and that is what it is. Only one tank did I ever go below 20 into a storm system and trying to make time..I often see 25..but 23.xx is the overall. It's a dead simple engine swap...as these things go..The guy who did this one is a carpenter and did it on a weekend in his garage, then drove it from Tacoma to California the next day.. Is it perfect? Well..for me it's a good compromise vanagon. Westie interior but no poptop..Great mileage for a vehicle with so much cargo capacity and the ability to camp. Keeps up with traffic with no problems and has been super dependable. If the motor breaks down the road, I bet I could go into a junkyard whereever I am and get a replacment, install it and be back on the road for <$500 in a day. You can't do that with a WBX a subie a Bostig etc...Maybe I am boasting when I say that...but I've been offered my choice of $300 money back 1.8liter VW motors at a couple of parts places...and I keep a watch on Ebay and the Samba just for fun... When I bought this vanagon I looked long and hard at all the options. Subie vans were very expensive. WBX vans have a horrible reliability reputation but they were relativly cheap..I did not want to buy a vehicle that has such a crappy reputation for head problems and being un-reliable, but then this one came up for $3000 and I am very glad I went this route..

Not saying it's the best way to go..but there it is, how it has been in my humble experience.. Don Hanson