Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Aug 2009 17:49:36 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: removing drum on brakes?
Comments: To: andysings@AOL.COM

Ff the drum is somewhat loose and won't come off over the shoes, then you think about backing off the adjuster, which can just barely be done through the backing plate, at the top.

sounds to me like your drum is firmly stuck on the flange. And I've had them way, way stuck........like no amount of oxygen -acetylene heat will help, no amount of hammer work etc. then I remove the big nut, take the flange and drum off as a unit. in every case.........I just lay the drum on the floor, outside facing up, and a nice hit with a hammer on the flange, and it falls right out of the drum.

if there is a lip worn on the back edge of the drum .........the flange and drum may not come off easily as a unit. then it may be necessary to back off the adjuster some. I've had one or two that took 2 hours of intense persuasion to get off, even more. I hope yours is nothing like that. Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andy Morse" <andysings@AOL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, August 09, 2009 4:27 PM Subject: removing drum on brakes?