Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Aug 2009 18:53:40 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Manual Steering Rack Rebuilder?
Comments: To: mcneely4@cox.net

Trimmed ! re this doesn't jive with VW recommendation. I use Kumho 857s, > 195R14s . The VW recommendation for 185R14s (not available) is 43 psi > front, 53 rear. That's what I run. Sure the pressure goes up with > heat -- expected, and I don't bleed it. Why would you run lower pressure > than the manufacturer recommends? Or or you speaking of reinforced 205s?

Hi Dave Mc,. no big deal, if 43 in front works for you with your tires.... that's fine.

reinforced 205/ 70 R 14's................. that would be stock on an 87 Woflsburg... that tire pressure sticker says : well interesting ....... it says for 185 R 14 C 6 PR tires - 39 front, 48 rear. ( pretty close to my 38 front suggestion as a starting point, for some tires )

for the reinforced 205/70 R 14 tires....it says 30 front, 40 rear, which sure seems odd !

tune the 'entire van' so it works well for you. if you like 43 front, and it rides nicely, it's stable and predictiable cornering, and the tires wear well..........then great. I imagine 43 cold can turn into 49 hot sometimes too.

Don't pay attention to this next part - it's not about tires really, and nothing to do with you.

< let's see..........I think I'll think of a brand of tire that I don't think is so hot...... than I'll express that opinion...........because evidently some people get bent out of shape if other people express their opinions about a design or a feature that they don't think so much of ........and it would be so fun to rile them up some more ! - just joking. Just a little bothered a litle that some people can not tolerate ohter people's opinions . We should look that word up !! here it is, the first two deffenitions : 1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty. 2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

what that says to me is ...... that it is just Someone's notion or idea .....it may or may not be true. So why would people take opinions like it was a personal attack ...........hmmm ? >

anyway, enough of that ! back to making our vangons as happy as they can get. and in my OPINION..........vanagons are giving up A LOT by having only 14 inch wheels and tires. now if that really upsets someone ...... please......get some perspective. and some 15 or 16 inch wheels !!

thanks, I feel a little better - lol ! :-) Scott