Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Aug 2009 20:36:49 -0800
From:         Troy <colorworks@GCI.NET>
Subject:      rear end noise, Audiovox cruise control, new batteries.

Three topics in one thread, oh my!

Okay, seriously-- I just got back from a 700 mile trip, and have been having all kinds of Vanagon issues. Just before my trip I had a new transmission installed, and apparently the speed sensor was not adjusted correctly, so that the rev limiter on my Subaru engine was kicking in and momentarily causing the engine RPMs to go to zero. A fine way to panic a vanagon owner! This also wreaked havoc on my Audiovox cruise control, which I am now just finding out has been hooked up incorrectly for the past three years. Apparently, on automatics the Audiovox requires a speed sensor connection in addition to a tach signal. I just learned this today from the Audiovox tech support people. I think I have the pulses per minute incorrectly set as well, as the Subaru engine (EJ22) produces five pulses per minute, and I have the Audiovox set for eight, the only setting that worked from what I recall. If anyone has done a Audiovox cruise control on an automatic with a Subaru conversion, please chime in.

Anyway, on to rear end noise. My passenger side rear has developed a clunking sound, not clicking, but a deeper clunk. How technical of me;) It appears to happen between 15 and 30 miles an hour, and tends to drown out at higher speeds. Below about 15 miles an hour it's barely perceptible, and seems to be a little bit worse with acceleration vs just coasting. So, am I looking at CV joints? Axle problems, what? Sure does not sound like a bearing to me. How do I test to determine the root of the problem? I smell $$$ in reparis---again.

On the bright side, I installed two extra golf cart batteries just before I left. The UB12220, which brought me up to about 95 amp hours. The Vitrifrigo refrigerator, combined with my Atwood heater, stereo, lights, etc only dropped the battery down by 30% overnight. Certainly much nicer than almost dead by morning in the past. When my normal car battery dies, (behind the drivers seat now) I think I will replace it with 4 of the UB12220, to make a total of six, and I think this'll make a really nice combination. Fortunately, with my Subaru installation, the ECU was put in front of the right rear tail light, so there is extra room under the seat for up to 4 batteries. With only two of them installed, I barely notice. Nice. Had a really wonderful trip down into Valdez Alaska, saw some great wildlife, and did some great camping along the way from Fairbanks. All that fun doesn't come cheap though!

Troy