Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Aug 2009 09:52:04 -0700
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Help! Electrical issue I need to solve in <3 hours!

That is where to look for sure. None of the grounds in the dash area have anything to do with the fuel pump or the starter functions. There is a large red wire from the battery to the fuse panel at fuse 8-9 area. This is main power for the dash and critical to the starter operation. Another nearly as large red wire goes from there to the ignition/starter switch.

My suspicion is for more than one problem going on. Start with removing and cleaning both of the battery connections and the body end of the negative cable. Then work forward to the fuse panel and ignition switch.

Mark

Greg Potts wrote: > Hi Aaron, > > Check the connection to the back of the ignition switch. The switch > itself bolts to the back of the lock cylinder and IIRC there's an > electrical plug connector to connect it to the wiring harness on the > van. If that connection is is loose or corroded then the starter won't > be getting enough voltage to properly engage the solenoid and the fuel > pump will run slower than it should. > > Good luck, and have a safe trip. > > Greg > > Quoting Aaron Robinson <a.robinson.lists@GMAIL.COM>: > >> Hello all. I'm leaving on a trip tonight and need to go to work soon. >> This is an '85 westy. >> >> I just pulled the steering column cover and was investigating the lack >> of wipers (they haven't been working for a long time), but it hasn't >> really rained in a long time either. When gently pulling on some >> wiring under the dash, all of a sudden the stereo stopped and the >> interior light I had on started flickering. I think there's a short or >> bad ground somehow, but I can't figure it out. >> >> No fuses blew, I pulled every fuse and still have the issue. With the >> key in the ignition and all fuses out, turning the key to "on" results >> in dim lights osx, ALT and turn signal lights. Leaving it there >> results in a SLOW turning fuel pump after a 5-6 second delay and >> hearing a relay click on. turning the key results in nothing or bad >> electrical sounds at the battery and no crank. Until today, this had >> been fine. >> >> This van has had bad electrical work done, so I'm sure theres >> something, but what is unfused and would cause the starter to not >> crank? If anyone has suggestions, I'm checking mail and will have my >> cell phone (206)409-3765. >> >> Thanks! >> Aaron >> '85 westy. >> >