Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Aug 2009 13:51:55 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: cognitive dissonance and refrigerators
Comments: To: Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>

Hi Roger --

At 11:39 AM 8/12/2009, Roger Sisler wrote: >Being unlevel is more critical front to back than side to side.

Many RV fridges are spec'ed +/-3 in one direction and +/-6 in the other. Ours is +/-8 either way.

I wouldn't bet on it myself. Damage from off-level operation is cumulative. I bet if you ask the people at http://rvmobile.com (who rebuild cooling units) they could give you a realistic estimate.

Troubleshooting: http://rvmobile.com/Tech/Trouble/CoolingD.htm -- the hydrogen is at ~350 psi. If it has leaked out, the unit will make a loud percolating noise.

>Can't see any other reason for the poor performance, as I have tried >and tried everything to get mine to work like it should and cannot >get the results I want.

What results do you want, specifically? The fridge as designed and as specified in the manual will only cool to 40F below its surroundings, will take a long time to cool, and survives best on a diet of pre-cooled food. It also requires air circulation inside the box, which can be improved by a FridgeMate battery-operated (or 12v) fan -- but if you pack the thing solid the results will not please. It will not operate as well when the van is in motion as when it is standing still. It operates *best* when it is dead-nuts level. Here's how it works: http://rvmobile.com/Tech/Trouble/cooldoc.htm -- by all means get the larger graphic printed or in a separate browser window to follow along with.

If it isn't operating up to spec, you may need a rebuilt cooling unit. http://rvmobile.com/CU/process.htm Unfortunately RV Mobile seems to have used up all their stocks of RM182 parts and aren't rebuilding the cooling units any more.

> I don't >understand how someone could sell a unit like these and have them not work >reasonably good,somewhat similar to like we are used to at home, when they >are new. Many of them sure don't work good now, and I think this is >the reason.

If you're expecting performance like a compressor fridge, you're doomed. You get to pick between home-fridge performance (compressor units) or silent long-duration (weeks) operation on propane (absorption units). Some Vanagon people pick one way (Norcold, for example -- a somewhat larger box that can still be fitted into the Vanagon cabinetry), some the other -- but notice how the compressor folks are struggling to put several hundred pounds of batteries into the van to get the same longevity as five pounds of propane gives the Dometic.

Personally for the best of both worlds I'd be looking at a cold-plate unit with engine-driven compressor. It's been a while since I looked, but my recollection is that half an hour a day would keep a properly insulated (see below) fridge cold (maybe not a freezer). But the box would have to be custom-built, and there's piping from the compressor to the box. This is how boats do it, mostly.

Our van is so small, though, that anything will be a compromise -- like the Dometic, which judging from the pictures in the installation manual was built specifically for the Vanagon. The key to efficient refrigeration is insulation -- the sailboat folks (not the boat builders!) think that six inches on all sides is *minimum* -- we'd have to hang it from the rear hatch, and then the raccoons would be helping themselves to beers. My personal opinion is that people who want seriously good refrigeration would be better off with a Sprinter-size vehicle. Or maybe one of those super-insulated beer coolers, hung from the rear hatch when under way. However: a) there's an outfit out west that makes vacuum-filled insulation (at huge expense) that could be very useful for a small installation and b) I just heard a rumor that the nano- boys are looking into construction insulation. A bunch of silvered nanobubbles full of nothing could be just the ticket, and five or ten years from now we might have it.

So realistically, if I ever have a Westy again, I'll probably go for the Norcold. Or live with the Dometic. It served me fine for well over ten years, not as a home fridge but as way the heck better than nothing and always there and always cold within its limits, at the cost of ten pounds of propane every three weeks or so.

Cheers,

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '89 Po' White Star "Scamp"