Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Aug 2009 17:56:06 -0400
From:         Pete Geisen <geisenpa@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      82 Westy body rust fixes

Hey all, I've been doing some searching on how to repair rust damage, and I'd thought I'd get some of your input, as I'm sure most of you have seen this at some point (though probably not to this degree). A couple owners back for some reason had a piece of foam rubber just behind the front end, under the radiator, I'm assuming to try to stop vibration. Dumb idea since the stuff loves to soak up water. In any case, I am left with a 2.5ft x 2" rusted out hole in the front behind the bumper that is slowly creeping out. Here's the shot:

http://geisenpa.home.comcast.net/~geisenpa/vanagon/frontbumper.jpg

I'd really rather not have to take it to a body shop, though I know that's probably the answer (not trying to mistreat the old girl, just low on cash, looking for other options). Wondering if any of you had DIYed a hole this size. I don't have a welder, so that's out. Would cutting out the section and JB welding some sheet metal do the trick (with some serious patching), POR15 and painting and all that? Any tidbits from you guys would be greatly appreciated. I'm tired of looking at that gaping hole.

Pete