Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Aug 2009 12:04:15 -0400
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: cognitive dissonance and refrigerators

I know that the way that it cools, my Dometic is not worth keeping; many others say similar, but certainly not everyone. I do not see how a manufacturer can expect someone to buy a unit that cools like these do now, when new, and these 182's are being replaced today with absorption units that work as people expect refrigeration to be-- Without unreasonable compromise; keeps the food from going bad in summer when parked for a day, including da beer. Ask Rocket. Mine was giving me about 55 degrees--this, after attempting all the maintenance and modifications I could find or invent. I did all kinds of testing. I won't list here all what I did to help my Dometic be the best it can be, as I am certain I would leave a few out at this much later date, but I can say that I did them all. I researched books, the internet,talked to people in the industry, and I read and asked here on the list for suggestions, and I tried them all. Today, I have lost interested in this box, and cannot find any reason to remember all that I learned about it.

I feel rather good that I did do all that could be done, and even so, I continued to wonder what the issue could be, and am left believing that problems exist with the actual refrigeration circut. I had three different units to preform my evil experiments on, and I spared no favorite Dometic from this. Perhaps I had one bad Dometic, but three? Don't think so. Once again, I don't believe that refrigeration that sucks is marketable to demanding Americans. They expect (unreasonably?) that this thing should be much better and easier than ice, and not that much different from the refrigerator at home. Absorption units have been around for as long as compression refrigeration has, and ammonia refrigeration was common in American houses as the main and only refrigerator, for years and years, ending in the 1960's. It was a safety issue from a possible ammonia leak that ended their manufacture--not warm food.

I suppose that I should have said that only SOME of the hydrogen has leaked out. What I said was that the hydrogen leaked out. Enough leaked, I believe, so that the proportions of ammonia and hydrogen have caused a limited quantity of useful refrigerant to be available for cooling. There is left over ammonia that has no hydrogen to combine with to produce the cooling effect. Therefore, any repair is futile, and a new refrigerator unit will be absorbed into the Vanagon.

Along the way, I thought that insulation was much of the issue, and I checked the door gasket using the dollar bill test-- All was well. I added Inswool to the burner and area where that heat transfers to the refrigerant to keep it warm. It is a four inch area along the base of the pipes, just above the burner box, where most of the transfer takes place, but the unit will not cool without the added heat transfer from the area that is above this 4 inch area(the area contained with that fiberglass wool). I found that there is no insulation on earth that can replace the "fiberglass stuff" that came with it. I tried five or six different types of insulation, including list suggested types. It all stank, but Inswool stank least, and I let some test materials stay installed for weeks, and I ran the unit to burn off the odor the whole time--no luck!!!!!!! That stink stays in your curtains, etc. Headache city! Try sleeping with that. I added a thin copper roof flashing to the back of the refrigerator as a break to stop the heat transfer into the back of the fridge from the burner and pipes. I insulated on top. Like I say, I can't remember all I did, but in the process I learned how that thing was supposed to work. I tore them completely apart and back together again, several times. Evaporator plate--yeah I took evaporator plate 101 and did all I could in there. Extra GoWestyesk fans. Blah , blah , blah.Remove heat from behind the fridge compartment to the outside of the Vanagon. It was not an insulation issue.Want to buy some stainless steel screws and bolts for the exterior of your Vanagon?