Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Aug 2009 17:33:20 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oxygen Sensor HELP.....
Comments: To: "Danny C." <bruiserbabie@YAHOO.COM>

At 02:59 PM 8/13/2009, Danny C. wrote: >cooled vanagon with auto trans). My mechanic tells me to leave the >oxygen sensor unplugged so that the engine will run cooler. I am >only getting 15 MPG and was wondering if I plug it in if I will see >a difference in fuel mileage for the better. Or if having it >un-plugged is bad. Please share with me the pros and cons of the >oxygen sensor. Thank you.....

Danny, the sensor is there because the CAT(alytic converter) requires a very specific mixture to operate properly. This mixture happens to fall between the "best power" and the "best economy" mixtures. In Europe, where these vehicles were supplied with a CAT, they were also supplied without an O2 sensor -- that's how I drove mine while it was in Scotland (when it came over here VWOA installed the CAT and sensor). The moral is that *if the engine is in correct running condition* it will run perfectly well without a sensor, but the emissions will go up considerably.

If the engine is *not* in correct order then the sensor *may* mask the problem and in that case the engine will run better with the sensor than without.

If the sensor itself or its wiring has a problem then the engine will run worse with the sensor than without. The sensor commands a considerable adjustment range of mixture, so if it's jammed rich (or lean) the ECU will radically alter the mixture in an effort to get the sensor to respond.

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '89 Po' White Star "Scamp"