Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Aug 2009 17:24:32 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: Speaker/Amp Recommendation
Comments: To: Michael Sullivan <sandwichhead@GMAIL.COM>

I wouldn't put them there if they were the only speakers in your system, I wouldn't put them there. I have my mid bass 8" Rockford drivers in their own housings under there and I can't really hear them despite having theri own 75 RMS watts/ch. amps. when the van is siting still I hear them. Give up the map pocket and get out the sabre saw and cut holes for some 6.5"'s with separate tweeters. i have Focal 165's and they're coming up on 10 years old now and still going strong. YOu should be able to get a used set off ebay for $150 or so and that's like less than half what they are new. Buy from a reputable seller and you should be protected. Boston Acoustics are really good too and so are MB Quart. Compare the efficiency of the speakers as for each 3 db of efficiency gained, it takes half the amp wattage to get the same sound pressure level. I'd really like to put a pair of Kl;lipsch La Scalas in the back of the GL, as they do 104 db with 1 RMS watt per channel, but there'd be no room for anyone in the back and the van would be 250# heavier and a definite theft risk. Most car speakers seem to do about 88-91 db with 1 RMS watt, so do the math.

The amp is as critical as the transducers, so don't scrimp there either. Dynamat mat the doors when the money is available. these head units that advertise 52 wattsx4 are pulling your leg. That might be peak watts, but not REAL watts. The difference between the 52 in the head unit and a 50 watt external power amp by a name brand manufacturer is astounding.

Good luck

DM&FS

At 03:57 PM 8/13/2009, Michael Sullivan wrote: >http://www.crutchfield.com/I-rXYEc000/EmailCart.asp?emType=0&emKey=463444 >Looking to add some range to drown out road noice and on a budget. Opinions >on this, please. Will put the speakers under the rear seat and cut out. >Michael in San Antonio >91GL AT 'Gringo' >73 Beetle