Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Aug 2009 22:08:45 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: bike rack bolted to hatch
Comments: To: Greg S <sorkilmo@gmail.com>

Forgot one more thing: For any fork mount rack (and especially one mounted vertically on the rear hatch) I like to use a bungee (across the stem or the top tube) to "back-up" the quick release that holds the fork into the rack. Just in case..I have seen these (the quick release skewer) break and I have horrible visions of my expensive race bike bouncing along behind the Van, being dragged along upside down by the lower rear wheel mount should for some reason that fork mount get loose or fail. The Yakima has a 'fork locking' option which is a little "T" that goes into a slot and is turned with a key..this prevents the quick release lever from being released and also functions as a back up, but it's not very convenient to use..I always seem to be standing there, bike in one hand, front wheel in the other and find the rack is locked and my keys are in the ignition...You can not put the bike into the rack unless you unlock it and you can't get the keys out unless you lock it..Must be a Beta version I have...anyway, a bungee on the ones that don't have the fork lock makes me feel better.. Don Hanson