Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Aug 2009 15:10:42 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Friday Question
Comments: To: Allan Streib <streib@cs.indiana.edu>

He might be happier with the surface and the durability putting down a couple of cheap pieces of paneling and taping the seams and edges with duct tape. I would not want to roll a creeper on cardboard for very long, and many's the time something from the engine brackets have dug into the concrete without my notice during various automotive projects.

Jim

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Allan Streib<streib@cs.indiana.edu> wrote: > I think a couple of layers of heavy cardboard would be enough.  Maybe a good heavy piece of poly sheeting underneath, but that can make things slippery. > > Is the concrete floor in the garage sealed (is it smooth and glossy)?  If so, as long as you clean up any spills quickly with good detergent (Tide, Simple Green, etc) I doubt there'd be any permanent staining.  But I'd  probably put down cardboard just to be safe. > > Allan > > > On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 14:33 -0500, "Andrew Philbrick" <herrschildkrote@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >> Happy Friday all. >> >> Just a quick question I have been pondering these last two weeks.  I >> just moved into a new place I'm renting that has a nice driveway and two >> car garage.  One of the rules of the landlords is that they do not want >> any oil stains on the garage floor so they say "no motor work."  I am >> planning on putting the EJ22 motor into my '86 Westy this winter and >> would still like to have the ability to work on our four other VWs. >> >> So my question for you - Does anyone have experience with a good method >> of keeping the oil/fluids off of the floor?  I was looking at the foam >> interlocking pads today but I doubt using a jack on those pads would be >> a good idea. >> >> Thanks and feel free to pmail me, >> Andrew >