Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Aug 2009 20:01:35 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      drive shaft R&R prelim report
Comments: cc: Syncro@yahoogroups.com

Hi,

I've taken the plunge and I'm overhauling my syncro's driveshaft (prop. shaft). Yup, into the realm of hearsay, anecdote, and voodoo.

The old U-joints were stock VW, missing rubber seals and tangible play in one of them. (It was my first time pressing/banging out U- Joints and I sought advice from the web. www.vanagon.com, www.syncro.org and http://vanagonsyncroproject-herman.blogspot.com/, and some posts on a Samba forum)

I found that i could not push out the cups as far as some have described, only got them out 3 mm or thereabouts. I had to drive cups further with narrow punch applied on inboard end of cup.

For replacement joints I used Precision (brand) #813. Around $46 can. each. They are made in Japan and come with a grease nipple. The grease nipple can not be used as it comes, as they u join yokes are to "shallow" and the nipple interferes. If I had the right die, or I was better at threading, I would have machined the nipple so that it sat lower in the joint. And if I had right sized bolt on hand I would have plugged nipple hole with it. As it turned out I had to do a little crude machining and tapping to fit the bolt(s) I had on hand into modified grease nipple (zerk), in essence making the grease nipple into a reducing bushing.

Putting U-Joints back together is so much nicer than separating them. The joints come with 2 thickness' of circlips. I put the thinner ones in, after supper I'll check endplay to see if they need the thicker clips, or even shimming (I doubt shimming)

the old joints did have some shim stock between circlip and bearing cap, previous owner? he did admit to greasing them.

I am tempted to machine new bronze bushings for the rubber doughnut end of the drive shaft. But I can not feel any play in that end when shaft inserted though i suspect I need to apply more force, hard to do with drive shaft on bench.

Then once all is together, and shaft repainted, I'll delve into the world of driveshaft alignment and then on to driveshaft balancing on the cheap :)

Alistair