Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Aug 2009 14:47:50 -0700
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Not quite a backfire . . .
Comments: To: mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>

On 8/17/2009 2:01 PM mark drillock wrote:

> Yes, that is it, the ECU knows by the hall pulses how fast the engine is > turning. When it sees the idle switch closed but rpms high it knows you > are coasting in gear and cuts off the injectors. > > If you have one of the Ken Lewis O2 meters installed you can see this > happen in real time.

You sure can. The meter slams over to the left (left = lean, right = rich) the moment the ol' toe lifts off the pedal.

During the long descents I've described, the meter stays locked in the lean/no-fuel condition the whole time.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano Bend, OR KG6RCR > > This is part of why a sticking or badly adjusted idle switch can make > the van herky-jerky to drive. > > Mark > > pdooley wrote: >> Hmmm, I may have an answer for my own question. >> The hall sender could detect RPM below or approaching idle speed and add >> fuel. >> >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: pdooley [mailto:psdooley@verizon.net] >> Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 4:45 PM >> To: 'Rocket J Squirrel'; 'vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM' >> Subject: RE: Not quite a backfire . . . >> >> How does this work? >> How does the ECU know to shut fuel completely off when descending but yet >> could add fuel in a split second to prevent stalling if say, you press >> the >> clutch pedal in? >> The idle switch cannot discern the difference between idling and >> coasting in >> gear. >> I really don't see how the AFM could perform this function either. >> Somebody enlighten me. >> >> >> <With no pressure on the gas pedal, the fuel is totally shut off, so the >> engine is not firing on any cylinders..... >> >