Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Aug 2009 16:19:19 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: '87 Vanagon GL: Oil leaks
Comments: To: Zolly <zolo@foxinternet.net>

All true enough. But, compared to the diesel engine, so few places to leak from!

Jim

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Zolly<zolo@foxinternet.net> wrote: > I would add; sometimes the oil pressure switch is broken and leaks.  And > there are two of them.  And of course, there are 16 ends of those lifter > tubes too.  May not be visible well from under the car when the plates are > covering them, but there can be sign of it leaking from there. > Z > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Felder" <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 1:50 PM > Subject: Re: '87 Vanagon GL: Oil leaks > > > I think the most telling thing on a vanagon is where it is dripping. > If it drips right on the centerline in the front, it will spread and > eventually flow to the back. If it leaks only at the back, I don't see > it going to the front unless there would be a lot of evidence (say the > tube to the oil tower up top was getting everything wet) of other > places being wet with oil. > > If the rear seal is leaking, you'll probably see oil slung off the > pulley and onto the tin and the engine hatch cover. > > If the leak is left of center, near the oil filter, when looking under > the car from the back, then the likely culprit is the O-ring on the > oil cooler. This is the one you want it to be if it isn't the > above-mentioned hose. > > If someone did a recent rebuild job, I suspect they might have used > old seals or reinstalled them wrong, especially as tempting as it is > not to mess with the rods and crank on a vanagon. > > I don't clearly remember, someone else will chime in I'm sure, but I > think you can replace the rear seal fairly easily, at least with the > engine out. Replacing the front is a very big deal. > > Jim > On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Douglas and Annie > Dodson-Mäuck<primalflow@suddenlink.net> wrote: >> >> Hello all, >> >> I have oil leaks that I need to address and was wondering where the most >> common suspected points of origin might be? >> >> The individual from whom I purchased it said that he thought one of the >> crankshaft seals could be the culprit. The leaks do appear to dripping from >> both ends of the engine though that could also be the result of one leak >> trailing to another location, pooling then dripping, right? >> >> >> I've always been fortunate with all of the vehicles in my possession and >> have been able to get by with only minor repairs, replacements, upgrades or >> maintenance, so please bear with my apparent lack of knowledge concerning >> what may possibly require a more involved wrenching experience. >> >> >> >> ~ Doug >> >> '87 VanaGL 2WD >> > > > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- > > > > No virus found in this incoming message. > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > Version: 8.5.392 / Virus Database: 270.13.60/2311 - Release Date: 08/18/09 > 06:03:00 > >