Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Aug 2009 10:26:47 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bostig engine
Comments: To: Bobby Brown <bobbybrown1@GMAIL.COM>

Automatic transmission Vanagons are just undergeared anyway, with the stock 3 speed auto tran. It's real easy to be at 3,500 to 4,000 rpm , especially in top ( 3rd ) gear, that's just how they are.

if you mean you have to really keep the revs up to feel like you are 'going anywhere' .......which would result in 3,500 to 4,000 quite often ....... partially, 'that's just how they are' .......... and traditionally ...........for ordinary slush box automatics ( which the vanagon one is - an old fashioned non-lock up torque converter, only 3 speeds, no overdrive top ratio, etc ) ..........some manufacturers even had a few changes in their auto trans version engines, to make better torque at low rpm's. So a somewhat peaky engine ( if the Zetec is ) with an automatic transmission sometimes is not the best mix. Ideally for an automatic like this, you'd like the fat part of the torque to be around 2,500 to 3,500 , not say, 3,800 to 4,500, even 3,8000 to 5,000 rpm.

And they could stand to be a bit higher geared as well, either with a not-very-common higher R & P , or 'rubber gearing' - larger rear tires. scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bobby Brown" <bobbybrown1@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 5:52 AM Subject: Re: Bostig engine