Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Aug 2009 19:35:24 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Temp II Sensor Questions

Anybody had a brand-new Temp II sensor fail on them in less than a week? I've had other sensors and thermostats go bad fresh out of the box so I wouldn't be surprised, but I thought I'd ask.

While in Laughlin, the van started getting more sluggish the hotter it got, and after some thought I decided that the list wisdom I recalled had to do with the Temp II. I got under the thing in a parking garage and cleaned the contacts, and it ran a little better after that, meaning essentially that the symptoms were less severe and held off longer, so I decided to try to track down a sensor (this was on a Thursday). It seemed that all the Napas were gone from Bullhead City so I wound up at a Checker's (Kragen's, here) and much to my surprise they could order the part ($8.95). I picked it up the next day, 'BWD' brand.

I really couldn't see in the parking garage and my flashlight was dying (replace those batteries before going on a trip, folks) and the symptoms had all but gone away so I thought I'd try to get home. I found that the symptoms had mostly gone away at around 45 mph (town speed) but I couldn't really get higher than that on the highway. We stopped at Lake Mohave (that's how they spell it there) on the way home for a swim, so I swapped the thing out on the beach- at least I could see better. I also found the wire insulation was broken in a couple of places so I taped that off. The van ran normally after that so I was satisfied that I had solved my problem. Yesterday the symptoms came back with a vengeance- worse than before. Of course nobody local has another one, so I'm SOL until at least Tuesday.

I pulled the harness and the van rpms jumped to 1200 and the rad fan cam on immediately, a good bit below (on the gauge) the point that it normally kicks in. What's the explanation for that? I couldn't get a resistance reading because I was burning my arms trying to get the probe points on the contacts. I'm going to the boneyard tomorrow morning to cut the pigtail off of one of the wrecks down there and see if I can get a decent reading that way.

IR temps at the top of the thermo housing were @187 and @210 at the housing inlet from the water pump (at prolonged idle, roughly 99F ambient). That seems a little hot to me, but it's hard to tell what's normal in these temperatures. Are there other issues that tend to cause the Temp II sensor to fail that I should look into?

Comments?

Cya,

Robert