Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Aug 2009 20:48:35 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <goose1047@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Electronic Rustproofing?

Rust happens when a ferrous steel comes into contact with both oxygen (O2) and water (dihydrogen oxide, H2O). It cannot occur without the presence of either chemical.

> But VW and the other car companies did the > next best thing. They started building cars in the 80s with steel panels > coated with a sacrificial anode - it's called zinc plating.

This is NOT galvanizing. Galvanizing is electroplating... what you end up with is a thin coat of zinc metal (visible as flattened crystals on the surface) over the base metal. What the carmakers do is to treat the metal sheet with some chemical, which leaves a residue on the steel. This is rather ineffective.

Thye purpose of galvanizing has nothing to do with electrolysis. What it does is merely to keep the steel surface completely away from water. Nio water, no rust (one form of iron oxide, I think a hydrous one; as a mineral in nature I think it is limonite).

The only manufacturers who galvanize their car bodies, to my knowledge, are Porsche and more recently Audi. About time Toyota started!

Now, I don't know whether these companies galvanize the sheet components before welding them into a body or they galvanize the finished body and doors. The former will slow rust down but nor stop it, as any zinc anywhere near the welds will melt and run away... zinc melts at a low temperature, MUCH lower than any steel. The treatment used by most manufacturers will not be as badly affected by heat, but will still disappear at the welds themselves, and of course seams are where rustproofing is most needed... exactly where there is none of it!

> And there are other issues with car bodies. Welding and folding plated steel > damages the zinc coating. Plus, once seam areas get wet they tend to stay > wet. This is why corrosion usually starts in seams - the zinc coating was > damaged during manufacturing and / or was used up there first. The right > answer is to repair those areas then protect them with a good undercoating > that won't let oxygen (air) or moisture come in contact with the steel > surface. Undercoating seams that have started to rust will only slow things > down because you can't get the moisture out.

Actually, nothing will stop seams rusting in the long term. Car bodies flex when they go over road irregularities, and this causes the seams to work... eventually... er... WORKING any sealant and paint loose and cracking them. Then the water gets in. If the car hits anything or is hit with decent impact, then seams even at the other end of the car will be "sprung"... which is why a car will soon start to rust at the seams after an accident (happened to my diesel Skyline, even the rear apron seams under the back bumper. No rust anywhere before the accident). Zinc electroplating is flexible and grips the steel far more strongly than any applied sealant or paint, and so will not crack under stresses or impacts.

I know that someone working in the German VW factories (Hanover) bought the very last T3 body made there. He had it galvanized, then finished. Wish there were chemical baths in NZ big enough to strip and galvanize a van body!

-- Regards Andrew Grebneff Dunedin, New Zealand Fossil preparator Mollusc, Toyota & VW van nut