Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Aug 2009 14:24:11 -0400
From:         VW Doka <vw.doka@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: What Did You Leave At Home?

Well said...

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 2:16 PM, Rocket J Squirrel<camping.elliott@gmail.com> wrote: > One of the brilliant things about camping is that there is such abundant > opportunity for folk to express their outdoors interests. Those who are > physically fit bicycle, hike, snowshoe, and paddle. Some fish or hunt. > Those less able or energetic might engage in photography, the study of > bugs, taunt chipmunks, or putter about camp or change engine oil. Some are > happy to just sit and observe, or read, or make music. > > Evening activities can range from getting drunk around campfire while > hacking away at tree limbs and playing music loudly (in some other > campground, thankyouverymuch), to star-gazing/astronomy, to retiring into > van and snuggling on bench listening to (or making) soft music, watching a > film (softly), or reading. > > Questioning others' camping style and interests -- as long as it does not > impact one's own peace and quiet -- is akin, in my mind, to questioning > someone's choice of hobbies, music, or mate. > > -- > Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott > 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") > 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano > Bend, OR > KG6RCR > > > > On 8/24/2009 10:16 AM Dave Mcneely wrote: > >> Well, I'm not the camping police.  For us, it is the outdoors that is >> the attraction, though, and we are deeply immersed in enjoying it when >> there.  We don't take a lot of extraneous stuff, and I can't imagine not >> being so tired from the activities as to be able to watch a movie >> without falling asleep.  The paraphernalia for movie watching would take >> up hauling space that is best left to outdoor stuff, like binoculars, >> magnifiers (for identifying insects and plants), hiking boots >> ............. .  I do take books, though most are nature guides or >> identification manuals for the critters and plants we encounter.  I also >> read a good novel or political book during Bonnie's driving time -- >> mainly when that is on interstates, as the smaller roads present too >> much of interest to allow me to focus on the book. >> >> >> >> >> On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 11:45 AM , Rocket J Squirrel wrote: >> >>> On 8/23/2009 9:40 PM Robert Fisher wrote: >>> >>>> I thought camping was an activity, why does one need 'stuff to do'? >>>> If you >>>> get bored camping, why do you go? >>>> >>> >>> Uh-oh. The camping police. >>> >>> Camping, for me, is partly an activity (doing: exploring and dinking >>> with >>> camping gear and projects) and partly just being in a pretty place and >>> soaking in the beauty. I like to read books and sometimes we like to >>> watch >>> a DVD after dark. The longer the camping trip, the less external >>> stimulation I need. It takes me a while to wind down to the slower >>> pace of >>> just camping. And I seldom get bored. >>> >>> -- >>> Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott >>> 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") >>> 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano >>> Bend, OR >>> KG6RCR >> >