Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Aug 2009 16:13:13 -0700
From:         Matthew Snook <matt@SNOOKSBAND.COM>
Subject:      rear heater blowout - stranded: Chapter Two
Comments: To: VWVANFULLTIMERS@yahoogroups.com, Wetwesties
          <Wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

OK, the sticks are in place. I used some golden chinquapin big enough to fit in the hose end, put the clamps back on and started it. Soon it was on the high end temperature-wise and the radiator was completely cool to the bottom (!) the fan would not come on, and the lower hose was blowing hot steam through my stick. So, I unloaded then entire back end, popped the deck, and discovered that the expansion tank was pert' near empty. After filling the tank the temperature went down, and it took quite some time for it to get back up to where the fan would finally come on. The sticks are dripping slowly enough (water is pushing _through_ the sticks!) that it shouldn't be a problem between here and home, but I'll stop at the top and check just in case.

So: after lunch and some waterfall pictures I'm back on the road and will see if we make it to the old home place! :)

Stay tuned...

Matt

________________________________________ From: VWVANFULLTIMERS@yahoogroups.com Subject: [VWVANFULLTIMERS] rear heater blowout - stranded

  OK, I'm having an adventure...

'84 Westy 1.9 Currently parked roadside at Whitehorse Campground, Umpqua National Forest (that's Oregon) on highway 138

Pulling the hill eastbound the temperature was running high but not critical, when I started smelling antifreeze...