Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Aug 2009 20:05:02 -0700
From:         Melissa Mourkas <westywoman@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: rear heater blowout - stranded
Comments: To: Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>

On Aug 24, 2009, at 5:54 PM, Greg Potts wrote:

> I never worry about turning on the heat too soon in winter... > because in > my 46 years of experience with long Canadian winters you don't get any > until the engine is ready to give it to you anyhow.

I spent a winter in western Massachusetts with an '85 Westy, and it took exactly 7 minutes to begin to get heat after starting the van and driving off to my destination.

I had a rear-heater blow-out once in that same '85 Westy: climbing a 9000' mountain in Colorado, on the upside. I coaxed her over the peak and drove downhill to Grand Junction, where I stayed overnight at a KOA and found a VW repair shop in town the next day, which got me back in the road in a jiffy. I recall a wall full of postcards from volks such as the "green bus people" who had stopped for service and then gone on with their road trip. Nice memory. Hope yours turns out as well.

Melissa Mourkas 84 Westy "Honey Bee" Sacramento, CA