Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Aug 2009 23:16:47 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      trip report: the back of the Cascades (Wa.) long
Comments: To: WetWesties <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

Left Lyle, Wa. (across the Columbia from Hood River, Or. in the Gorge) Fri. afternoon for the Entiat River Valley and a rendezvous with a bunch of cyclists who do an annual Hillclimb ride there. Cyber-friends we'd never actually met. We loaded the bikes on the rear hatch Yakima rack and fired up the inline four powered 84 "topless faux Westie" got the doggies (2 Chesapeake retrievers) aboard and headed over Satus pass to Yakima, Ellensburg, Wenatchee and Ardenvoir. A short foray into Leavenworth reminded me why we always avoided downtown Jackson, Wyoming when we lived back there. I finally found and traversed Bluet Pass, after seeing it on road reports for years. It is ironic that we probably know less about our home state of Washington than we do about Baja, Utah, Nv. California, Montana, etc. The Van ran perfect, as usual..This trip my Odo finally really gave up so I used my little GPS bike computer to track our speed and progress..Actually a second one right over my regular speedo would probably be a better option than fixing what I have..but... And this trip saw my O2 sensor light 're-illuminate' until I punched the reset button again. Does that mean another 30k miles have slipped past the old fudge wagon? We found our hostess' home and she led us to her "secret spot" on the Entiat River where we 'poached' an overnight camping spot right next to the water with nobody around. We arose the next morning and 'declined' the planned Group Winery Tour ride along the shore of Lake Chelan in favor of a more ambitious 'warm-up' ride for Sunday's main event, the Mad River Hillclimb. After about 50 miles Sat. and some 4000' of climbing, the Barbecue at our hostess' house was very welcome..Great food and peeps. One fellow with a Eurovan and another in a big class C were quite envious of our Vanagon. We camped Saturday night under the pines next to Lynne's house and did the Sunday Hillclimb ride right from camp in the morning. We all rode up a small paved forest service road right in the middle of the Entiat Burn area...a fire of grand intensity swept through there in the early 90s but it was recovering nicely. Plenty of Vanagon-sized camping spots all over that part of the state. Re-loaded the dogs and toys and decided to do a quick 'fly-by' of the town of Chelan, then return down the east shore of the Columbia via hwy 97 to Wenatchee. Got a quick swim to wash off all the salt from that day's bike ride and hit a local fruit stand for some of the tastiest peaches ever...Since it was still quite hot we decided to return without venturing further east (out into the flat country and more heat) so we went right home the reverse of our trip north. Ellensburg is a nice little town..Can't say much about Wapato or Toppenish, though... Back home to Lyle before dark on Sunday..two tanks of gas, a couple of bucks for the barbeque kitty, and about $50 worth of fuel (each) for our bicycle metabolisms and we had another great Vanagon weekend. It was quite fun to put some faces to people previously known only through the Net. Also fun to see another part of the Northwest that we've 'nearly visited' but never had time to actually explore. Every time I take a bike trip in the Vanagon I'm amazed at how pertectly suited it is for that..(among other things). Sorry for the length of this post..I ramble on.. Don Hanson