Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Aug 2009 11:08:01 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine electrical power requirements?
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

If you can't your body and hands/brain/eyes get to the van, that changes the whole picture.

but the way I would measure that current draw is to disable the alternator, even just remove the belt, and measure total current draw at the battery with engine running.

That might be a little tricky, depending on how you wire in your amp gauge. You don't want to be drawing starter current through it of course. I'd say more, but don't want to get all complicated on ya. If you want more of my ideas on how to measure current as I'm thinking, just ask.

what is this about anyway ? want to know if solar power alone will keep the engine running. I can tell you, my 88 740 Volvo with similar electronic fuel injection and ignition, can suck down battery power fairly quickly , like a half hour of running without charging from the alternator, will pull down a 'fair half decent' battery enough that it can't crank strongly enough to start on the starter.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rocket J Squirrel" <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2009 8:26 PM Subject: Re: Engine electrical power requirements?