Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Aug 2009 19:51:23 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Had to gut my cat today and I don't even play tennis.

I was having some weird, intermittent symptoms which were complicated by other issues, but it turned out that at least part of my hot running issue and most of my low power issue was caused by a clogged cat. In my cat there were, or appeared to be, two formed pieces of 'honeycomb', one at each end. They were both intact, but one of them had come loose and was travelling around in the cat. Sometimes the van would run normally, and sometimes it would run (using the term loosely) like hell. Apparently it would sometimes land in such a way that most of the exhaust would pass normally and other times it would block the pipe. I couldn't figure out any way to secure the thing in place and I didn't have time to try anyway, so I wound up pounding the stuff out. I could see from some of the larger chunks that survived that it was getting occluded anyway, but I think it would have had some fair amount of life left in it had it not broken loose like that... it kind of chapped my ass to have to bust it up prematurely, as it were.

I told my wife that driving a 22 year old vehicle after having it sit up like it did meant 'driving out the problems'- in other words we were going to have a period of many failures large and small until we cleared out most of the weak points, and so here we are.

Now I have to try to figure out if my idle control is really dead or if it's a connection issue.

This van is costing me a lot of Wilderbucks lately. : (

Ah well- at least I have enough seatbelts going now for the carpool kids.

Cya,

Robert